Meaning of Hiccups
Hiccups are involuntary spasms of the diaphragm (the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen). They are sudden closure of your vocal cords that produce that “hic” sound.
What Causes Hiccups?
Hiccup is a minor thing that happens within minutes and goes away itself after few or no home remedies, but see your doctor if you experience prolonged hiccups or if the hiccups disturb your sleeping and eating habits.
Hiccups can be caused by stress, feeling nervous or excited, eating too much or quickly, drinking carbonated drinks or too much alcohol and so on.
How To Get Rid Of Hiccups
There have been home remedies for centuries which are believed to get rid of hiccups, for example, taking a spoonful of salt or breathing into a paper bag. There is no specific remedy but here are some popular effective ones.
- Holding your breath for about 15 seconds then breathe out slowly.
- Drinking a glass of water, cold water is a good option as it helps to stop the irritation caused in the diaphragm by factors that cause hiccups.
- Pull your tongue gently, it stimulates the nerves and muscles in your throat.
- Take a spoonful of honey and allow it to melt before swallowing.
- Tap or rub the back of your neck, it stimulates your phrenic nerve.
- Distract yourself; rather than focusing on the hiccups, play a game or do something that is quite engaging.
- Have someone frighten you, it helps stop the “hics” as one big ‘hic’ from fear or shock stops the spasms.
- You can also breathe into a paper bag for a few minutes.
- Suck or bite hard on a lemon.
You can try all these one after the other when you get the hics as there is no particular remedy.
Also note that hiccups also serve as symptoms for some sicknesses like brain tumours, stroke e.t.c, hiccups could also be a side effect of some medications.
Above all it is important that you pay more attention to your health, hiccups are quite harmless but they are can be a warning for a serious health problem.