What is a Kidney Stone?
A kidney stone is a hard deposit of minerals and salts that stick together in concentrated urine formed in the kidneys.
The Function of the Kidney
The kidney removes waste and fluid from the blood to make urine and sometimes when you have too much of certain wastes and not enough fluid in your blood, these wastes can build up and stick together in your kidneys and form kidney stones.
How Does One Get Kidney Stone?
Kidney stones are however common in males than females. Most people who experience kidney stones are sometimes between the ages of 30 to 50.
About 5% of people develop a kidney stone in their lifetime, some people get them more than others and you may be more likely to have kidney stones if:
1. You do not take enough water, dehydration can lead to kidney stones.
2. When you take a high diet in protein, sodium or sugar.
3. Obese people and people with large waistline too are at risk of kidney stones.
Symptoms of Kidney Stone
You experience symptoms of kidney stones when it gets larger as small kidney stones move easily through your urinary tract.
Symptoms include pain while urinating, blood in your urine, nausea and vomiting, fever and chills, persistent need to urinate, sharp pain in your back or lower abdomen, change in colour of urine (pink, red or brown).
If you witness any of these, you ought to visit your doctor as soon as possible and for you not to have any of these, they are preventive measures to kidney stones.
Natural Treatment for Kidney Stone
- Take lots of water, it makes the urine clear and gives the body enough fluid to make urine.
- Cut down on the intake of sodium in your meals. They are lots of foods that have a positive impact on kidney health like milk-based products, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Taking home remedies which involves more consumption of herbs and fruits cleanses your kidney and make kidney stones pass on their own. Below are some of the remedies you could take;
- Eat watermelon: Make a watermelon juice, it helps in regulating acidic levels in the urine. The juice will help flush the kidneys of small stones, take the juice 2 to 3 times a day.
- Eat kidney beans: Kidney beans for kidney stones. You can make a powder out of them and mix with water or just add the beans to your daily meals, it contains vitamins B that help clean the kidneys and help the urinary tract function better.
- Olive oil: Olive oil creates a smooth passage for the stone to pass through the kidney to the bladder and helps get rid of the stones.
There are lots of herbs and fruits that can be included in your diet to pass on kidney stones and there is also some lifestyle factor that can help like exercise.
- Light exercise: Kidney stones may refuse to pass on their own when it comes to passing the urinary system. Cautious exercise can help in moving the stones naturally, exercises like a light jog, yoga and cardio workouts. You can seek the advice of a doctor first before beginning your program.
- Drink water like 1.9 to 2.8 litres a day, it helps flush the urinary system.
If after all home remedies the stones refuse to pass, rather than repeatedly trying them and enduring the discomfort, you should go for medical therapy for treatment.
Your doctor will give you medication according to the situation of the kidney stones if there are small stones, you could be given medications that help you relax your muscles and help you pass the kidney stone more quickly and with less pain.
In cases of large kidney stones, there would be more extensive treatments as they are too large to pass on their own. Such treatments include;
This is a procedure that uses shock waves to break a kidney into smaller pieces that can be expelled from the body.
This involves surgically removing a kidney stone using small telescopes and instruments inserted through a small incision in your back.